Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Think Through: Egyptian Literature.

2. I would say the tone of the Book of the Dead would be really proud, and majestic. Nu really adores Ra and everything that he does. Nu thinks that nothing could be better than Ra, and all he wants to do is please him and show him the utmost respect; praise him. Certainly the God of the Sun should be praised, such as this, since he is the reason everything on this planet is alive and thriving.

3. The speaker thinks that Ra should be praised because he is the sun. Without the sun, we have nothing at all. The sun plays an extremely important role in our lives and our world, and though everyone knows that, I think it's often forgotten. Without the sun we could not be and nor could anything else.

4. The speaker describes herself as a bride waiting beside her love because that to her would be her perfect Utopia. She sees everything that she would like to see, and everything is exactly how she'd like it. I'm imagining that on your wedding day, things seem just like this, and for her to describe herself as a bride gets the point across that absolutely everything is to her liking.

6. 'Whenever I leave you, I go out of breath' gave me the strongest sense of the speaker as a person because I could really connect with him. To me he seemed just as scared and bitter towards death as sometimes I can be. I'm just afraid of being alone and missing everything on our beautiful earth.

7. While both 'Whenever I leave you, I go out of breath' and 'I'm going downstream on Kingswater Canal' mention her absent lover, they are both very different. In 'Whenever I leave you, I go out of breath' the tone and mood is really deep and dark. She fears death, and being alone. She doesn't want to leave her loved one, and the things that she loves on Earth. However, in the story 'I'm going downstream on Kingswater Canal', the mood is upbeat, bright, and cheery. In this story she is happy because she is in her perfect Utopia, and she is not afraid of dying because she knows that everything will be exactly how she would like.

8. Today, of course, nobody is ever really prepared for death. Just like the Egyptians we try and do appreciate everyday life, but I think sometimes we take it for granted. While the Egyptians extensively prepared for death, we really don't. Of course there are certain steps you take in order to prepare for death, but we don't build pyramids or anything that extravagant.

No comments: