Wednesday, January 17, 2007

English.

The English language is very important everywhere. Almost anywhere you go people speak English. It's such a vast language and just about everyone speaks it. Here in Florida you take English classes in elementary school, middle school, high school, and you have to have English credits in college. It's really a fascinating language, as there are so many little tricks odd rules to abide by. I guess you really could call it 'American' because our English here in the States, isn't really proper English. I always love to hear people from England talk because even though it's the same language, it's not at all. Both languages are so diverse and unique that we really should classify them as two different languages. It's neat when you hear some slang words and you actually know what words they have derived from. If we just spelled phonetically I think that would take the fun and uniqueness out of what makes English English. There are also many movies that come quipped with subtitles or even have been dubbed over to be English. Me, personally, I love to watch foreign movies with subtitles. I think that when a movie has been dubbed over to be English takes a little of the effect out of it because you don't really get to listen and hear what other languages sound like and how different they are from what we're used to. It's a nice thing to have and most people enjoy it. For me, even when a movie is in English, I put the subtitles on just because I love reading. English is a great language to have on hand, seeing as basically everyone speaks it. I always think it's awesome when I meet people who are bilingual. I am currently taking Spanish, and hope to become fluent as well but if that doesn't work out, I know I'll always have my English.

No comments: